Are you looking for a fun way to help your children memorize scripture? Perhaps change of pace in your music selection? Or maybe like me, you ran across Seeds Family Worship on You Tube and want to know if it’s worth purchasing. Today I’ll share with you how we discovered Seeds, why we love their products and how we use them. Plus I’ll direct you to where you can find them yourself (including our first giveaway!). Continue reading to see how Seeds Family Worship can add to your family’s fun memories this summer.
Note: Although Seeds Family Worship has graciously offered to donate their Seeds of Courage DVD (usually about $20 bucks) for my first giveaway, my thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own. I did not receive any compensation or otherwise profit from this review, I simply bought a cool product and wanted to share my thoughts.
How We Discovered Seeds Family Worship:
It all started one dark and stormy night (not kidding!) when my Lil’ Lizard was having trouble sleeping due to some fears brought on by the weather. So we settled him down, talked about it, prayed about it and soon said good night….only to find him sneaking into bed 45 minutes later. We gave in and let him stay with us since it was a rare occasion, but it was clear no one slept well and we couldn’t afford to let this turn into a pattern. Personally I’ve found the best remedy when I’m scared is to pray and focus on God’s truth. If my bible isn’t handy, or my anxiety won’t allow me calm down enough to read, nothing soothes me like singing worship songs full of scripture verses.
So the next morning I went to YouTube to search for such songs that would appeal to kids. That’s when I discovered Seeds Family Worship, a music based ministry that creates songs directly from scripture. The first song we listened to was exactly what we needed to find, Philippians 4:6-7 put to a snazzy beat (click here to watch it for it for yourself). We played a few others, but we went back to the Philippians video for another view before getting back to school work. That night, as my son was taking a bath I could hear him singing the song word for word and I knew we found something powerful.
What we love about Seeds Family Worship:
This post will never end if I went into detail all the reasons we enjoy Seeds Family Worship and how we apply them, so I think a bullet point system will deter me from my long-winded nature. This way you can more easily decide if you’d like to purchase them or enter our giveaway. In no particular order, here are the pros:
- Matthew 12:34b reminds us “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” So what are we filling our hearts and EARS with? Kids especially love to mimic and repeat what they are exposed to. They will naturally do this, so you have to ask yourself, do you want to hear the lyrics to “Let it GO” or something more eternal, useful and beautiful? We listen to Seeds Family Worship for the lyrics composed of word -for-word scripture. What could be better than joyfully hiding God’s word in their hearts?
- If you want to dig in a little deeper or coordinate other areas with their music, Seeds offers some great resources on their website. They’ve got chord charts, printable memory cards, and even a Bible Club you can join. The flexibility of these resources are endless. We already implement a note card system for our memory verses, so the printables were very convenient for our family.
- The music itself has a great beat with a catchy rhythm in a genuine and non–“What Does the Fox Say“-annoying sort of way. So even if we aren’t listening intently, but have the CD going in the background, I find an uplifting shift to our home’s atmosphere. Though the kiddos may not love knocking out chores, turning up Seeds Family Worship helps us keep positive attitude.
- You’ve got options, you can buy a CD, a DVD or a bundle. I purchased the Seeds of Courage bundle and keep the CD in the car with the DVD in the living room.
- Speaking of the DVD, it has some cool features too. We like to watch the videos as an introduction before using the CD since most of the songs have the lyrics incorporated. Some of the tracks even have a split screen (or video with video option) where you can learn some hand movements to go along with the song. When we encounter a wall in our homeschool studies, we’ve enjoyed popping in the DVD to dance along to a few songs before returning to the lesson refreshed. Sometimes you just gotta get your body moving! I could also see this function applied to a Children’s Church Ministry or for Missionary work where English isn’t the primary language.
- We all like to spread knowledge about what we love, hello the whole point behind this review! Well, Seeds Family Worship makes it so easy for you to share. When you purchase 1 CD, they actually send you TWO … specifically with the purpose to share! How awesome is that? I love letting my son take his time to prayerfully consider who he would like to bless with bonus CD. So it’s a great opportunity to be not only hearers of the Word, but doers!
What we didn’t love:
Seeds is great, but nothing is perfect, so here are a few things to consider before you make your purchase. The cons:
- The DVD has a play all option, but not a play all REPEAT like the one we have with a CD player. When I was using the DVD as white noise for our nursing little one and forgot to bring the remote, it was a bummer but an easily avoidable one. Depending on your purpose and use for the DVD this may or may not be an issue.
- Though not a deal breaker, my son fell in love with the “Do Not Be Anxious” video on YouTube and was initially disappointed to discover a different video on the DVD. The same great song, and equally awesome video, just not what we were expecting. Especially since it was that particular video that lead us to purchase the DVD, my Lil’ Lizard was a little upset at first.
- Scripture based worship is amazing and nothing new, so initially a few songs messed with my brain to hear to because I already “knew the words” to a different tune from praise and worship. Such a minor issue and cured within days, but I find reviews lose their credibility without a couple cons….but I’m really grasping at straws here.
So there you have it! How God lead us to find Seeds Family Worship, why we love them and various ways we incorporate them into our daily life. We are using their Seeds of Courage album, but they also have Seeds of Faith, of Praise, of Purpose and of Character in addition to some other awesome titles. If you are interested in purchasing your own personal copy, you can head over to their music store HERE. Seeds Family Worship has also generously donated their Seeds of Courage DVD for my first ever giveaway to one of my wonderful readers.
I hope this review has helped you in decision your decision making process or introduced you to a resource we really enjoy here at Grace Within the Race. I think this would be a great purchase anytime of the year, but especially heading into the long summer days with everyone at home. 🙂 How about you? Do you have any experience with their products? Any pros or cons to add? Perhaps some questions I didn’t address? Please share in the comments below!